Friday, March 18, 2011

Rome Part 1- Around the town, Trevi Fountain, the Appian Way, the Colleseum

Well, after our wonderful tropical holiday in Cancun, we flew directly to Rome during the spring season.  We were exhausted after our long journey all the way from Mexico but arrived safely after nine hours.  Rome- what can I say, it is so steeped in history and full of life!  We went directly to our apartment in downtown and waited for Mom, my sister, Cyndy, and her husband, Brian and three chidren to arrive.  What a wonderful reunion we had in our apartment complete with lots pasta, good Italian wine, and pastries galore! Our place was close to everything and used it as a home base to explore the city.  With my brother-in-laws ambitious tour schedule, we saw a lot.

Let me see...first the Trevi Fountain, then the ancient Appian way, followed by the Colleseum and Forum, the Pantheon, a bus tour of the city, the museum in Rome, a horse ride (for the birthday girl, my 5 year old niece), and a 4D movie of ancient Rome!  Oh, I have pictures galore but I wll add the best ones to the blog.  We ate a lot, laughed a lot, took more buses and metros than I can keep track of, and the ruins and magnificent buildings were all around us like a blanket.  Rome is my favorite European city for sure!


The cousins hanging out in Rome


Brian, our tour guide and chef!


Lounging with the family


A real pyramid near our metro stop!
Kaye and the grandchildren snacking while waiting for a bus

On the Appian Way
Kaye on the Appian Way!

Kaye, Cyndy, Kathleen, and Chris at the Trevi Fountain

The family at the  Trevi Fountain




Brian consulting the map to get us around Rome
Christopher at the Colleseum

The family at the Colleseum
What a place!

Brian at the Colleseum


Yikes!

No comments: