Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Weekend fun on the water (with ALL photos)

Over the weekend, I was on the Sea of Cortez the whole time.  On Friday night I went off to visit my American friend, Andrea, at La Concha Condos.  We took out her kayaks and kayaked all around the area close to the condo. 

On the following day, I went on a boat tour of Isla Espiritu Santo.  It was amazing- the island is a nature preserve with lots of birds, sea lions, seals and coral reefs teeming with fish. On the way to the island, we saw a group of dolphins jumping in the water.  What an amazing sight! I got out snorkeling and saw fish of all different colors and swam with seals  One small seal was very friendly, and I petted him on a rock!  We all had a picnic on one of the beaches after snorkeling two times.


FRIDAY- Brenda kayaking near La Paz.

FRIDAY-Andrea in full kayaking gear!

SATURDAY DAY TRIP -Dolphin jumping in La Paz Bay.

Sea- lion colony on Los Isolotes.

I had fun snorkeling with fish, seals, and birds (they dove in to catch fish).

On Sunday, I met with Andrea again and we kayaked from Playa Tecolote to Playa Bandaras.  It was amazing.  We met up with another Mexican friend, Benjamin who runs a Kayak renting business. We explored the beach as the tide slowly went out. It was also exciting to take the kayaks through the mangrove trees near the bay.  It is amazing how these trees can live in salty water! When Andrea and I  finally paddled back to Playa Tecolote, at the end of the day, I almost stepped on a ray!  Those things can sting you and give you great pain.  After that, we all enjoyed a nice drink on the beach together ( I had to calm down first..I did scream at the time and hop around a bit trying to get that darn ray off my sandals...lucky for me I had them on!) After the delicious and theraputic large lime drink (of the adult variety-this is a blog for all ages after all), I happily ended an eventful weekend!
A beautiful arch along the way.

Nice view along our jouneey in the boat around Isla Espiritu Santo.

Swiming and  a picnic on the beach after snorkeling.

Another puffer fish- this one is healthy (p.s. the eyes are on the sides) being shown off by the captain of the boat.

Sea-lions basking in the sun.

Interesting birds along the way.

I am a happy sailor!


Enjoying the beach and a delicous lunch of ceviche (our boat is in the background).


SUNDAY AFTERNOON-Kayaking near Mushroom Rock (right) on Bahia Balandra.


Andrea next to Mushroom Rock.

Friends, Benjamin and Andrea picnicing on the beach (next to Benjamin's Kayak rental business).

Brenda and Benjamin at Bahia Balandra.

Andrea and Brenda looking out at the water.


1 comment: