Friday, November 26, 2010

Graduating from Se Habla Language School!

I enjoyed every minute that I was at Se Habla Language School in La Paz.  The teachers were great and taught me so much- thanks Merit, Orlando, and Marco!  I worked hard for two hours a day in private classes and then went out in the town and practiced Spanish every chance I got.  I lived with a Mexican family so I got practice speaking Spanish at home too.  I had lots of homework and did my best to finish all my work.  Studying the verbs was the biggest challenge! In addition to great language training, the school offered lots of cultural talks, outings, special events, and helped organise my volunteer placement (mentioned in an earlier post).  The person behind it all is Juli Goeff, the owner and director of the school- she is a marvel!

The school offered weekly talks on cultural events such as the Day of the Dead (already discusssed), the Mexican Revolution (100th Anniversary this year), areas of Mexico and the customs, etc...There were also some field trips that were offered and they were well attended.  Juli, the school's director was also helpful to show me around the city in my first week and help me to make some friends.

One of the most amazing field trips organized by the school  was a star-gazing night at Las Dunes, Desert Retreat.  It was an amazing Eco-Lodge with with little cabins and a central area for yoga and discussions.  Up on the sand dunes was a platform for drumming sessions/dances and for us, star-gazing!  They had several high powered telescopes set up and we enjoyed a talk by a Mexican star expert.  Then we gazed at the heavens- a highlight was seeing Jupiter and its rings and all the craters on the Moon!  The Milky Way really showed up in the night sky, as we nibbled on French bread and goat cheese and listened to the ocean waves lapping onto the shore below.  It was a magical experience!  It was dark, and all light was discouraged, so I did not take any photos.  I have amazing memories forever in my heart!

So, here are some pictures of the school, the teachers, other students, and my graduation after a month of intensive Spanish classes! Adios amigos!

The sign!

Se Habla Spanish Language School.

Juli and I in the kitchen.  She runs a great school!

Relaxing after class on the front porch.

Visiting with other students in the livingroom before class.

Here is my second teacher, Orlando!  He draws great illustrations!

The back view of the school  near the pool.

My third teacher, Marco and I on the back porch.  He cured me of saying "en" the French way...I'm supposed to pronouce it like "n"! Ha!

Graduation in the dining room with all students and teachers- my first teacher, Merit, is in the front row in white.  I said a short speech and got a bit choked up.  It was such an amazing experience! I will continue learning Spanish on Skype and practice on future travels this coming year.

No comments: