Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Digging for clams gets me a sting from a ray!

This is our clam stash....it was worth the pain in my foot!

Soaking in hot water admiring the clams.

Right after the sting...a bit painful, I must say!

View of the mangrove trees near the beach.

I'm cured!
On a lovely Saturday, I headed off with friends to my favorite beach, Bahia Balandra.  This was my last chance to go to this beach before heading home and I enjoyed the day....watching the tide go out and chatting with my friends Pam, Rob and Benjamin.  We got the idea to go digging for clams and it was hard work...it was a lot of walking and not a lot of clams until the end.  We dug up about 10 altogether and were happily walking back when I was stung by a ray. Ouch!  It really hurt and boy did it bleed!  I limped back to the beach where my Mexican friend, Benjamin, boiled water and soaked my sore foot. The ray sting is painful but not deadly and it is really an enzyme that is injected into your foot...the hot water dillutes the toxins.  I had a few asprins, a stiff drink offered by some neighbours on the beach and I was good as new in 45 minutes thanks to the help of my friend!

No comments: