Friday, October 29, 2010

Looking around La Paz and possible volunteer work in a school...

Thursday, was an eventful day.  My private classes at Se Habla are wonderful- Merit is an amazing teacher and really pushes me to learn as fast as I can.  I am working very hard to commit all AR, ER,and IR regular verbs to memory, all numbers, and imporant nouns and articles....I have only done this for one week but I have learned so much! The numbers are by far, the hardest thing to learn so far- they are so complicated. I would say that the "lightbulb" is now slowly starting shine over my head! Since yesterday, I have been SPEAKING in sentences to my teacher, my host "Mom" and locals.  I admit I am limited to the present tense, and they are not in-depth conversations, but I am communicating!!! I can now ask for directions on the street, ask for an item in a store, and start to integrate better into Mexican society.  I am so excited!

I have decided that with my growing skills in Spanish, it would be good to voluteer part-time in a school.  I went on a tour of an ophanage and the school that is connected to it.  It was a very nice place with open courtyards and clean and modern facilities.  The orphans go to school right in the compound until they reach high school and then they go to another school.  The children seemed happy and were monitored by the nuns and other supervisors.  I saw the children washing their own clothes by hand and doing their homework in the study hall.  I may possibly volunteer in this orphanage school or another school in the area.  I also have a school right accross  from my home. It must be a fun place because I hear cheering and laughter every morning.  I must peek in there next week to see what is going on...I am sure as a fellow-teacher they would probably be willing to show me around.

In addition to visiting the ophanage, the director of the language school was very kind in showing me around greater La Paz.  It is a big city and has excellent facilities- a brand new state-of-the -art hospital, indoor olympic sized pool, many large shopping centres, various soccer and baseball fields, and much more. It is the district capital of Baja California Sur and very prosperous. I love the fact that it is not touristy at all and everyone speaks Spanish.  It is a perfect place for me to learn Spanish...my classroom is everywhere!

2 comments:

Kat Secord said...

I knew you couldn't stay away from the classroom. Well, it is the kids and the interaction isn't it.....

Unknown said...

I'm with Katherine, I had a funny feeling that your travels might just land you in a classroom (and not as a learner, either!). I think it's a great idea and I know you'll have a hoot. Naturally, the kids will love you like they do here :)