Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Se Habla Language School and views of La Paz, MX

I am really enjoying my Spanish language classes.  I have a private class for two hours a day and then another hour or so of classes and cultural lessons with other students.  The school is the owner's home, so it has a cozy and welcoming feel to it.  The house is very tall with many balconies and the views are fantastic!  I am learning the basics at the moment, AR and IR verbs, numbers, family members etc...I do about 3 hours of homework a night and I am making slow steady progress.  I look forward to the "lightbulb" going on over my head at some point, where communication is more natural...I suspect a better understand of verbs is required to be able to communicate more freely...I look forward to that day...until then, I will keep practicing!

After a few hours of classes I head home to have la comida (large lunch) and then I am free for the evening .I am enjoying walking and I want to start biking too, during the daylight hours.It is fun to check out the local mercado (supermarket) and the interesting items in the store.  I chuckled to myself to see the sunscreen products with UVA protection of 4 and 8! Ha! I packed UVA protection of 30 and 45!  I guess since most people have a darker skin tome, it is not very important here.  I also thought it was quaint to see the shampoo and conditioner right next to the very large assortment of candles for praying to the Virgin Mary in the Catholic Church! I am a big fan of creme carame/custard flan and this place has a whole section devoted to foods like this.  I am in heaven!  The Mexicans must take hygiene very seriously because I noticed that when dairy products like milk and yogurt were delivered to the supermarket the man deliverig them wore a white mask, white gloves, a white jacket and, yes, you guessed it,  special white boots! You have all heard of the Man from Glad (on TV selling garbage bags etc.) well this is the Man from Dairy!

 It is taking some adjusting to get used to eating only two meals a day- breakfast and large lunch at around 2 pm.  There is no "supper" to speak of, only a light snack.  It is hot here so this way of eating seems to make a lot of sense. On the first two nights, I was famished, but now, I eat a small snack and I feel fine.  In this hot climate, heaving meals are not what you crave.

Day #2 of Spanish classes.

My beautiful teacher, Merit.

Cultural class with the other students.

View from the upper balcony of the language school.

View of La Paz.

La Paz

birds along the Malecon, La Paz.

The Malecon sea walkway.

View along the Malecon.
 Despite the language challenges, I am having great conversations with my host "Mom".  She is very kind and patient and cooks delicious food.  Her family comes to visit regularily and they bring lots of life to the place.  The house is located close to everything.  I love to go for a walk along the Malecon (sea walkway) in town...the view of the mountains and  sea is magnificent.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I was there with you, Brenda!

Unknown said...

That's funny about the shampoo and conditioner near the candles and praying materials!
I still am impressed on how close you actually are to the water...I thought you were more inland.
Everything looks to be very nice,even your classroom is all comfortable with couches and all!
I noticed it is another 30 degree day there...I think we reached a high of -5 today!!
Don't worry about the "lightbulb going off" it will happen!! In the meantime keep enjoying life and I will check out your adventures again tomorrow.
Love you,
Roland XOXO

Unknown said...

boy oh boy, you better find a way to bottle some of that sun & warmth and mail a little home. It's been DANG chilly lately. Missing summer :( It sounds like you are having the time of your life. And your camera seems to be getting quite a workout too! So envious. Hope you are savoring every minute!

Noah said...

It would be so nice to go there with you. Now that it is so cold here I'm glad we have a heater. I also heard you'll be in the Guiness world book of records, nice one.